Student’s academic advisor will monitor and provide guidance as to the term and timeframe that is appropriate to consider making application.
Student who anticipate applying through the high-demand major (HDM) application are encouraged to attend information sessions about HDM that are held early each term (see timeline below).
The initial step in the application process is to complete the Personal Statement of Purpose. The PSOP must be written at the University’s Testing Center. Please see the UGA Testing Center’s website to make an appointment.
The University Testing Center provides a list of all students who complete the personal statement of purpose during the timeframe noted for each term. Based on that list, each potential HDM applicant will be contacted by the College of Engineering Academic Office via UGA email with the HDM application link.
To complete the application, students will provide information including major of choice and self-reported grades in the General Education and Major Specific courses for evaluation.
- Grades will be verified from Athena and DegreeWorks
- Grades for courses in progress during the term of application will be added to the student’s application after grades are processed that term.
- If an applicant has repeated a course, the most recent grade earned in multiple attempts will be considered.
- For transfer students, the course equivalent to a UGA course should be reported and will be verified by the Academic Office prior to application review.
- A grade of C or higher should be earned in all Major Specific courses to be successful in the application process.
Applicants will be notified via email regarding acceptance or denial following review.
Once accepted to the major students will need to request a formal major change through ATHENA.
Applicants denied admission to the major of their choice may re-apply one additional time for admission in a later semester. There is no appeals process.