Lead the design, construction and maintenance of structures that connect contemporary society. From bridges and roads to buildings and energy systems, civil engineers serve their communities and the world by designing and building solutions to address an enormous variety of challenges.
What you’ll study
- Structural Design
- Principles of Surveying & Transportation
- Soil Mechanics
- Building Information Modeling
- Design of Bridges
- Groundwater Engineering
- Civil engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Field engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Municipal engineer
- Structural engineer
- Transportation engineer
- Wastewater engineer
- Project engineer
Civil engineering is one of the oldest disciplines of engineering. Civil engineers design, build and maintain our roads, bridges, canals, dams and buildings – and much more. If you’re drawn to the opportunity to serve society by creating and renewing the infrastructure on which we all rely, civil engineering at UGA may be for you.
The University of Georgia Civil Engineering undergraduate program provides students with an education in engineering and basic sciences, liberal arts, and engineering design. This combination prepares graduates with the ability to integrate knowledge from several disciplines including skills to analyze and design relevant systems for solving multifaceted problems. The graduates of this program have a deep knowledge of engineering, mathematical and environmental sciences, and the ability to develop new technological solutions for the increasingly complex built environment and infrastructure problems. Graduates will possess the skills to be contributing team members and leaders in business and the communities in which they reside. Graduates from the University of Georgia Civil Engineering undergraduate program will have career opportunities in structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, sustainable infrastructure design, water resources engineering, solid waste management and urban systems.
Program educational objectives
The following Program Educational Objectives relate to the knowledge, skills, and behaviors that UGA College of Engineering alumni with degrees in civil engineering should demonstrate as they move through their careers as engineers and as contributing members of society:
- A high level of expertise to address challenges in the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of the infrastructure that connect contemporary society;
- The problem-solving skills to create design solutions to societal problems within the civil engineering field;
- Demonstrate professionalism, ethics, and the ability to work on multi-disciplinary teams;
- Continue their education through professional licensure, certification, or pursuit of a graduate degree;
- Establish themselves in positions of leadership in their profession and their community.