Use your knowledge of materials, design and manufacturing to advance the world. Design devices and systems in a diverse field that includes robotics, aviation, molecular technology, nanotechnology, and product design.
What you’ll study
- Machine Design
- Engineering Materials
- Engineered Systems in Society
- HVAC Systems for Buildings and Industry
- Mechanical Vibration
- Machine Hydraulics
- Robotic Manipulators
- Automotive engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Controls engineer
- Energy systems engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Product design engineer
- Energy systems engineer
Engineering is becoming a broader discipline as engineers engage with today’s grand challenges. Mechanical engineering is following this trend as mechanical engineering graduates will pursue diverse careers in areas such as research, design, manufacturing, and management. Mechanical engineers have helped create the modern society that we enjoy and as well are poised to help provide solutions to the pressing challenges that we now face. Graduates of the program will have career opportunities in manufacturing, energy engineering, sustainable infrastructure and architectural design, biomedical and biomechanics, mechatronics, and nanoengineering.
The University of Georgia Mechanical Engineering undergraduate program provides students with an education in engineering sciences and design, basic sciences, liberal arts and professional practice. The program graduates students ready for successful careers as practicing mechanical engineers in industry, academia or other organizations such as national research labs. Since mechanical engineering is a very broad discipline, a graduate in this program will have much flexibility for career options. While they will be prepared to enter diverse types of careers, these graduates will also leave school with a solid understanding of the core topics such as mechanics and kinematics, thermal and fluid systems, materials and numerical methods/modeling.
Program educational objectives
The Program Educational Objectives of this program are to prepare graduates who, after five years of their professional career, have:
- Achieved a high level of expertise to create design solutions that help to create a sustainable world and enhance the global quality of life.
- Established themselves in positions of leadership in their profession and their community.
- Continued their education through professional licensure, certification, or the pursuit of a graduate degree or further training in their area of specialty.
- Maintained integrity of the profession and contributed to its development by passing on knowledge and skills.