Discovering Engineering at UGA Academic Boot Camp
The College of Engineering's Discovering Engineering at UGA Summer Academic Boot Camp
Applications for 2023 are now closed. Please check back soon for information regarding next summer’s program.
The Discovering Engineering at UGA Summer Academic Boot Camp is a two-week residential experience at the University of Georgia which helps incoming engineering students adjust to the rigors of engineering coursework and improve their transition to campus life.
Why apply to the Discovering Engineering at UGA Summer Academic Boot Camp?
This intense, two-week long experience will help incoming students adjust to university life and prepare themsleves for university-level courses. With the goal of promoting success at UGA, Discovering Engineering at UGA Boot Camp participants will attend lectures, complete assignments and projects, participate in assessments, and partake in skills sessions, all while learning effective study and time-management skills in a forgiving environment prior to the start of Fall classes. Additionally, this program will help new students become acquainted with UGA and the College of Engineering and feel a sense of belonging before the official start to their college career.
- Attend classes each weekday for two weeks,
- Work with engineering faculty members on group projects,
- Visit engineering laboratories and facilities,
- Participate in professional development seminars,
- Engage with industry leaders from Georgia Power,
- Meet fellow incoming first-year students,
- Build campus community and network with peers, faculty, staff, and alumni,
- Become familiar with UGA's campus and the surrounding Athens community,
- Live in a residence hall, and more!
When does the program take place?
Sunday, July 16 – Friday, July 28, 2023
Where will the program be held?
UGA's Athens, Georgia campus
What is expected of Discovering Engineering Boot Camp participants?
- Attending the full two-week program,
- Living on campus for the entire program,
- Attending Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and Physics reviews,
- Participating in MatLab review,
- Completing various engineering projects as assigned, and
- Adhering to UGA, campus, Athens, and College of Engineering policies.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Have been admitted to the University of Georgia and have declared an intended major in the College of Engineering,
- Be an incoming, first-year engineering student as of Fall 2023,
- Be at least 18 years of age by the program start date (July 16, 2023),
- Be either a first-generation student or from an underrepresented minority group,
- Possess a sincere interest in attending reviews of of Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and Physics, and
- Submit a completed application which includes a short essay outlining your interest in Discovering Engineering at UGA's Summer Academic Boot Camp
- Complete UGA's mandatory summer Student Orientation prior to attending Discovering Engineering at UGA's Summer Academic Boot camp
What does the program cost?
Thanks to a generous grant from Georgia Power, students will not incur any expenses to attend the Discovering Engineering at UGA Summer Acadmemic Boot Camp. Registration, housing, meals, and materials are all cost-free for participants.
- Applications open: Monday, April 10, 2023
- Application submission deadline: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
- Selection notification: Saturday, June 10, 2023
- Sunday, July 16. 2023: Program Start, Move In, and Welcome with Deans and Faculty
- Friday, July 28, 2023: Program End, Move Out
Questions? Contact Dr. Sonia Garcia, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.