Yantao Fan, Ph.D.
School of Chemical, Materials, and Biomedical Engineering
Dr Fan received his bachelor’s and master’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering from Taiyuan University of Technology, China in 2004 and 2007. Afterwards, he entered the School of Medicine, Tsinghua University, China, and received his Ph.D. degree in Biology from the School of Medicine at Tsinghua University. Next, Dr Fan completed his postdoctoral training at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
- Ph.D., School of Medicine, Tsinghua University
- M.S., School of Material Science and Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology
- B.S., School of Material Science and Engineering, Taiyuan University of Technology
Areas of Specialty
Dr. Fan has interdisciplinary expertise and interest in the fields of Biology, Materials and Engineering. His current research interests are in developing biosensors, point-of-care devices and hybrid brain-computer systems by using nano/micro-technologies (MEMS, microelectrode array, microfluidics etc.) and biotechnologies (stem cells, 3D organoid, lab on a chip etc.) for the “from bench to bedside/market” translational research.
Selected Publications and Scholarly Articles
- B. Ahmed, S. Binder, S. Boroomand, HJ. Strathman, M. Hantak, T. Shepherd, A. Ehrenhofer, H. Zhang, J. Shepherd, F. Solzbacher, PA. Tresco, S. Blair, CF. Reiche, Y. Fan. Implementation and testing of a biohybrid transition microelectrode array for neural recording and modulation, BioRxiv preprint, doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2023.08.08.552362, 2023.
- S. Kuddannaya, CS. Tong, Y. Fan, Y. Zhang. Geometrically Mediated Topographic Steering of Neurite Behaviors and Network Formation, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 5 (7), 1700819, 2018.
- Y. Fan, D. Nguyen, Y. Akay, F. Xu, M. Akay. Engineering a brain cancer chip for high-throughput drug screening. Scientific reports 6 (1), 1-12, 2016.
- UA. Gurkan, Y. Fan, F. Xu, B. Erkmen, ES. Urkac, G. Parlakgul, J. Bernstein, W. Xing, ES. Boyden, U. Demirci, Simple Precision Creation of Digitally Specified, Spatially Heterogeneous, Engineered Tissue Architectures, Advanced Materials, 10.1002/adma.201203261, 2013.