ENGINEERING SUMMER ACADEMY AT UGA
In collaboration with the Georgia Center for Continuing Education, the University of Georgia offers annual interactive summer camps for middle and high school students interested in engineering and STEM fields.
Introductory Engineering Summer Academy
Explore the world of engineering in this exciting, hands-on camp! Discover the variety of different roles that engineers play in the world, and see many of the fields engineering can be applied to, including architecture, transportation and aerospace. We'll learn the basics of mechanical, structural, electrical, and control system engineering, and discover the scientific principles at work behind them, including Newton's laws, work, energy, simple machines, friction, gravity, heat, electricity, and fluid forces. You'll get the chance to participate in hands-on activities and friendly competitions, as we build structures, vehicles, catapults, and rockets. Time will be available to discuss topics of interest to the students as the week progresses.
2020 Introductory Engineering Dates:
- June 8-12 (Introductory Engineering A)
- June 22-26 (Introductory Engineering B)
- July 13-17 (Introductory Engineering: Exploring Electricity)
Advanced Engineering Summer Academy
Students in the Advanced Engineering camps will get to experience a week in the life of an engineer – thinking, planning, designing, fabricating, and proving designs using an expansive engineering toolkit of software, tools, and equipment. The project-based program lets students Experience Engineering in a fun, informative, and creative environment with just a hint of friendly competition. You will select one project for the week with emphasis on electrical, mechanical, civil, computer systems, biological/agricultural, biomedical, chemical, or environmental engineering. Activities will include learning from engineering experts and working in teams to complete projects. Upon departing for the week, we hope that students leave excited about engineering, minds racing with ideas to change the world, and with a greater understanding of what engineers do to make ideas come to life.
2020 Advanced Engineering Dates:
- June 1-5 (Advanced Engineering A)
- June 15-19 (Advanced Engineering B)
- July 6-10 (Advanced Engineering C)
EXPERIENCE UGA 4TH GRADE FIELD TRIPS
In collaboration with UGA Office of Service Learning and the Clarke County School District, the College of Engineering hosts 4th grade students on campus for engineering lesons and activities each February. Expereience UGA aims to bring every Clarke County student, at all grade levels on field trips to the Univeristy of Georiga each year. Annually, the College of Engineering 4th field trip programs impacts 1000+ local elementary students, allowing them to better understand the what engineers do, and the role they play in our society.
FIELD TRIPS & CAMPUS VISITS
The College of Engineering is happy to host field trips and campus visits for groups. Our facilities tours and program overview presentations are ideal for middle school to high school audiences. During your visit to campus, you can expect to receive a tour of the Driftmier Engineering Center and/or a presentation from College of Engineering staff members. Meetings with current engineering students, faculty, and visits to additional research labs may be possible depending on availability.
- Due to limited facility availability, the College of Engineering can typically only accomodate group sizes of up to 35 people. If you have a larger group, please contact us to see what might be possible for your group.
- School system field trips will need to be approved by your principal or appropriate school administration prior to us starting to coordinate your trip. Please submit the visit request form after obtaining necessary approval.
- We will be unable to accommodate requests for group tours with less than two weeks notice. All other outreach service requests must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the requested event date.
Make the most of your visit to Athens: