Spring 2020 Convocation
Held in conjunction with the University of Georgia's Commencement, the UGA College of Engineering's Convocation is a special ceremony honoring students individually for their hard work and dedication in earning an engineering degree.
May 7, 2020
Classic Center Theatre
300 N. Thomas Street
Athens, Georgia 30601
- The ceremony begins promptly at 10:30 a.m.
- Candidates should arrive by as early as 9:15 a.m. but no later than 9:45 a.m. for photographs and line up in the Athena Ballroom.
- The theatre doors for guests will open at 9:45 a.m.
- The ceremony will last approximately 60 minutes. Please plan any after event meal reservations accordingly.
- The College of Engineering leadership, faculty and staff will be hosting a celebratory reception for graduates and their guests immediately following the ceremony in the theatre lobby.
- Students should wear business attire underneath their regalia.
- Academic regalia is required for all degree candidates and consists of a black robe, mortar board, and orange tassel.
- The College will award a red stole to all candidates for the ceremony.
No tickets are required. An email invitation will be sent to all degree applicants to confirm participation and indicate the number of anticipated guests.
The following hotels are located near the Classic Center:
During the ceremony, each degree candidate will cross the stage and be congratulated. A professional graduation photography service will be present. Those photographs will be made available from the vendor for purchase. In addition, the College contracts with a separate photographer to provide more candid shots that will be made available to students and their families at no cost within a week of the ceremony.
Convocation ceremony guests have the option of parking on-campus for free or in the Classic Center Parking Deck for a fee. Other parking is available in the downtown Athens area. However, expect parking to be at a premium due to the large number of events that day. Please see commencement.uga.edu for more information on on-campus parking options.
Degree candidates: If you need accommodations, please contact Debbie Lovelady at email@example.com or 706-207-7105 at least five business days prior to the event.
Please contact Debbie Lovelady at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-207-7105