S. Jack Hu
UGA Foundation Distinguished Professor
UGA Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost
Dr. Hu has authored or co-authored nearly 200 peer-reviewed journal articles related to his research in manufacturing systems, assembly, and engineering statistics. He holds six patents, co-founded a startup company based on his research, and worked closely with several industry partners to enhance manufacturing quality and productivity.
Prior to joining the UGA faculty, he was the Vice President for Research, the J. Reid and Polly Anderson Professor of Manufacturing at the University of Michigan, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Professor of Industrial and Operations Engineering. At U-M, he led the development of a campus-wide initiative on data science as well as Mcity, a public-private partnership focused on connected and automated transportation.
Hu is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and serves as a member of the Executive Committee of the National Academies’ Transportation Research Board. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP), and a foreign member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He is the recipient of several professional awards and best paper awards.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Tianjin University, China
Area of Specialty
- Manufacturing Systems
- Assembly and materials joining
- Smart manufacturing
Citations by Google Scholar
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2018.
- Elected a foreign member of Chinese Academy of Engineering, 2017.
- Best Paper Award, ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC), June, 2017. Chenhui Shao, Jionghua (Judy) Jin and S. Jack Hu, "Dynamic sampling design for characterizing spatiotemporal processes in manufacturing".
- ASME Blackall Machine Tool & Gage Award, ASME J. Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2017. H. Nguyen, H. Wang, B. Tai, J. Ren, S. J. Hu, and A. Shih, “High Definition Metrology Enabled Surface Variation Control by Cutting Load Rebalancing”.
- Best Applications Paper, IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering, 2017. S. Suriano, H. Wang, C. Shao, S. J. Hu and P. Sekhar, “Progressive Measurement and Monitoring for Multi-resolution Data in Surface Manufacturing Considering Spatial and Cross Correlations”.
- SME Gold Medal. 2017.
- Elected a member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, 2015.
- SME/NAMRI S. M. Wu Research Implementation Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2014.
- ASME William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award, 2012.
- Fellow of International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP), 2012.
- Best Paper Award, ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC), June 2012. B. Tai, H. Wang, H. Nguyen, S. J. Hu, and A. Shih, “Surface Variation reduction for Face Milling Based on High Definition Metrology”.
- College of Engineering Research Excellence Award, The University of Michigan, 2006.
- Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, March 2003.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1996.
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1993.