Hongyue Sun, Ph.D.
Data analytics and AI in advanced manufacturing and occupational safety
Dr. Hongyue Sun is an associate professor in Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Georgia. Prior to joining University of Georgia, he was an assistant professor in Industry Engineering, University at Buffalo. He has a multidisciplinary background with a B.E. in mechanical engineering, M.S. in statistics, and Ph.D. in industrial engineering, respectively. Dr. Hongyue Sun’s research interests are data science for advanced manufacturing, occupational safety, and healthcare systems. His research has been broadly supported by NSF, NIOSH, Navy, MxD, etc. His research has been recognized by several best paper awards from INFORMS and IISE. He received the Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the SME and UB’s Exceptional Scholar: Young Investigator Award from University at Buffalo in 2023. He is a member of IISE, INFORMS, IEEE, and ASME.
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, Virginia Tech, 07/2017
- M.S. Statistics, Virginia Tech, 12/2015
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology, 06/2012
- 08/2023 – present: Associate Professor, College of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering), University of Georgia
- 09/2023 – present Affiliate Associate Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University at Buffalo
- 08/2017 – 08/2023 (tenured in April 2023) Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University at Buffalo
- 08/2012 – 07/2017 Graduate Student Research/Teaching Assistant, Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
Areas of Specialty
Data science, data analytics, machine learning, advanced manufacturing, occupational safety